Driving Instructions to Mighty Rivers Eco-farm
First of all get yourself a four-wheel drive vehicle at: Tri-color Rent-a-Car. We have found the Daihatzu Terios to be practical and reliable. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us directly.
From the Airport
- Take the Interamerican Highway (Route 1) to San Jose.
- After 10 miles or so you will see big signs on the left for Best Western and Denny’s restaurant. Go about a mile further and you will come to the first traffic light and major intersection since you left the airport.
- From this traffic light go two blocks more and turn left at the Esso gas station. You are now on a wide two way street called the Paseo Colon.
- Take the Paseo Colon into town about a mile and turn right at a large building that has a PANASONIC sign on top.
- Go one block and turn immediately left. Now you are on a six lane one-way street in downtown San Jose.
- After a large Kentucky Fried Chicken / Food Mall sign on your left, take your next left, go through town, down a hill and across a bridge.
- Immediately after the bridge turn right.
- Go 180 degrees through the traffic circle and turn left. Now you are on Route 32 and you should see signs for Guapiles. Now you are out of town.
- Keep going straight, and after an hour you should see the turn off for Guapiles. Stay on 32.
- About 25 kilometers past Guapiles you will see a blinking yellow light at the intersection of EARTH University. Keep going on about 8 kilometers further, till the next blinking yellow light. This place is called Herediana, and you will see a sign to the right pointing to La Alegria
- Turn right and go up hill about 3 kilometers. Look for a large 3M sign on your right
- Go one more kilometer and turn right at the intersection.
- Go about 4 kilometers, cross the Rio Destierro gorge, then look for a stone marked, “Bienvenidos a San Bosco”.
- Just after the stone, turn right, then go several hundred yards and turn right again at the tiny Catholic church. Now you are on our road.
- Go about a kilometer and a half and you will see our long coconut lined driveway going off to the right. Head right on in and you should see someone at the open sided dairy facility, or the two story house on left.
You can also get to our farm without getting into San Jose at all. The road is not marked quite as well but it’s a lot of fun to avoid the city, and it’s much shorter.
- From the airport go towards San Jose about 3 kilometers, pass the Firestone tire factory, then proceed about one kilometer further, and exit right where a sign points to CIUDAD CARIARI.
- Turn left at the end of the exit ramp. Go over the expressway you were just on, and follow signs to Heredia and Aurora.
- At the Hipermas shopping center, go towards Heredia.
- Go a few hundred yards, pass a gas station on the left, and turn left at the next intersection you can turn left on.
- Go two blocks and turn right. Now you are in Heredia.
- Go straight through town, look for a large Burger King/ Papa Johns. Keep going straight through, and head for San Isidro de Heredia.
- Keep left at the Y.
- Go about two kilometers, and turn left at the end of the road. Follow this to San Isidro de Heredia.
- In San Isidro, follow signs towards Guapiles. When in doubt about which is the main road, ask for directions.
- In a few miles you will end up on Rt. 32. Turn left, and head for Guapiles.
Return to the Airport
- Take the Braulio Carrillo Route, just the same, back to San Jose.
- Entering San Jose, turn right at the first major intersection and traffic light.
- Go straight through and turn right at the Interamerican Gas Station.
- Stay on this road till you merge into the Pan American highway, which continues on to the airport.
In the rare event of heavy rainfall, construction or mud slides, we use the following alternate routes:
(1) via Cartago and Turrialba, or (2) via Heredia, Varablanca and Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui.